Questions or suggestions for our MOSAIC Multicultural Committee?
Contact Chris Haeffner
Coordinator of Library Media Services
- Attend and actively participate in four meetings during the school year, including one organizational meeting and 3-4 literature circle meetings.
- Read and review multicultural books.
- Elementary Level: 20 picture and/or intermediate books.
- Middle School: 12 intermediate and/or Young Adult books
- High School: 10 Young Adult books
- Act as a catalyst in promoting the use of excellent multicultural literature throughout the curriculum.
- Continue to grow professionally. Be a consistent student in learning about criteria for detecting bias in books for youth and children.
Resources to Help You Review Titles
Definition of Culture
Culture: We define culture as involving far more than ethnic or racial differences. Culture is the set of practices and beliefs shared by members of a particular group that distinguish that group from other groups. Culture includes all characteristics of human description.
From Culturally Proficient Leadership (2009), p. 16.
by Raymond D. Terrell and Randall B. Lindsey
Reviews should include the following information:
o Grade Level
o Reviewers comments about why the book should or should not be included in the
o A book summary is NOT necessary.
o Curriculum connections
Please include: Extension ideas for our interactive display: book trailers, videos, author talks, music clips, makerspace ideas, etc. Include URL to resource or description of extension activity.
Books must have a rating of either a 4 or 5 to be included in the
Recommend a Title for Preview
How To . . .
How to Add a Review
MOSAIC 2017 (YOUR LAST NAME) REVIEWS
How to Search for 2017 MOSAIC Preview Books:
- Contact Rae Hunter-Pirtle for a current list of new titles
How to Check out Multicultural Preview Titles:
Contact Rae Hunter-Pirtle
AUGUST 6, 2013 BY "So here, then, is my responsibility. To make images, to tell stories, to trouble the narratives that pervade so many people’s secret hearts and minds."
What to do until Utopia arrives: guidelines to evaluate the treatment of gay themes in children's and YA literature
Written by the Social Responsibilities Round Table's Gay Task Force of the American Library Association
How Cross-Racial Scenes in Picture Books Build Acceptance
By May 12, 2014
Why Should We Teach Multicultural Literature?
By June 18, 2014
CBC Diversity: Lessons Learned
By Yolanda Scott, April 2014
|Middle East or Middle Eastern American||MCME|
|Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender||GLBT|